Wednesday, June 18, 2008

State Fair Sculptures Begin


Wasn't the rain delightful yesterday?  The cool weather and clouds before the rain threw energy into me and before I knew it the guitar sculptures for the State Fair of Texas have begun.  Here's pictures in progress today with sunshine, oh well, can't have rain every day.  Although growing up in New Iberia, Louisiana, I'm pretty sure we had rain around 3:00 every after noon.  I'll ask  Steve, my boyfriend when I was 3 years old and he will remember.  Our afternoon rains were the best part of the day.  All the kids would play under someone's carport.  Every house had a carport and garage.

I remember one afternoon I was sitting by myself under the carport and the other kids were out playing.  A man was painting the carport and asked why I wasn't playing with the others.  I told him I was punished for life.  He asked why.  I'd found some house paint and painted my name on my Mother's 1956 Holiday "88 Oldsmobile - four door (with no bar between the windows) two tone turquoise and white incredibly beautiful automobile.  Somehow I thought my name painted on the door enhanced the beauty of her new motor car.  Others (those with power) didn't quite see it like that.  Even during my 100 years of punishment under the carport watching the rain, I thought the Oldsmobile looked better with my little touch of art.



No comments: