Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Hardy and the Penguins

Bob and I had lunch with Darling Hardy today at Garden Cafe.  Since Hardy set up this blog for me, I thought it only fair to tell him I'm going to start writing about our amusement park experiences since he is one of my favorite people and we did do parks together.

Seven Seas was a sea life park in Arlington Six Flags took over to run for the city in the summer of 1974, I think.  Hardy put on a fabulous underwater puppet show.  Weldon, another friend put on a delightful live parrot show.  

Seven Seas was built on a hill.  At the bottom of the hill Bob put in a games midway and I ran the games.  Further down the hill past the games was a big wooden fence.  Animal parks are notorious for escaping animals, some non-threatening others who will eat you.

We didn't have a lot of business that summer so tom foolery ruled.  One day I'm standing at the entrance of the games and in the corner of my eye I notice two small blurs at the top of the hill.  I turn and the blurs are two penguins with their little wings out.  They're sliding down the street?  As they gather speed I see their feet are strapped into tiny parrot size roller skates.  My mouth opens about as wide as their eyes as they speed past me flapping wings - I assume trying to stop.  Who knows what's going through the minds of penguins on roller skates flying down a hill?  

Faster than you can say, "OH S*&^T!!!", the penguins are airbound toward the fence.  WHACK, they hit the fence full in the face.  I run down to them.  They hop up and start to attack me.  Again, corner of my eye, I see Hardy shaking so hard trying not to laugh with Weldon hiding behind him.  Both pleaded total innocence.   When they explained, you'd have sworn the penguins broke into the parrot show, stole the skates and strapped them on hoping to  become the Tanya Hardings of their day.

Just a day in the life an animal park.
 

No comments: