Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Artist's Totem Garden At the State Fair of Texas



Monday Rebecca drove Rusty and me around the State Fair of Texas in a golf cart so we could pick out locations for the sculpture artists and the Totem Garden.  Rusty gave us the lagoon just like we wanted.  What a beautiful backdrop for the Totem Garden.  So far we have 24 artists signed up and several more who are going to give me an answer soon.  There are so many good art shows going on this year with the Texas Sculpture Association's 25th anniversary in October, many artists are swamped.  Rusty said he'd even put out a media release before the Fair if I have the information ready for him.  And he said I can put as much information out to the media as I want.   I'm hoping the Totem Garden will be the big hit of the Fair.

Here's an example of a few totems I know of:  Juli's mosaicing a giant pvc pipe. Wait until you see this mosaic art.  Barb is knitting in wire for a totem.  She practiced with a wire necklace that belongs in an expensive jewelry store.  Jay will be forging something spectacular.  Marty's beautiful ceramics will grace a totem.  Becky will incorporate her "Becky" glass.   I have no idea what Sweet Glo will come up with.  But I can tell you the artists for this garden will wow the crowd.  More about these fabulous artists and their totems to come.  Oh, and I've unofficially named the Totem Garden "Friends of Lottie".  Sounds perfect to me.

I'll have pictures soon of areas where other sculptures will be placed.  There's lots of good spots from the lagoon on toward's the fountain Bob designed where I put my sculptures last year if I get my act in gear this year.  Hopefully, this are will be known as "sculpture way".

I'd better get started on my totem.


No comments: