Tuesday, December 9, 2008

International Association of Amusement Parks and Attractions





I'm so far behind but here's an attempt to catch up. Took a lot of pictures at the IAAPA convention and trade show we attended in November. We had great booth mates across from us who didn't mind taking lots of pictures. By the end of the show I was calling them professional photographers and they were.

This was my 36th show. Kinda scary. Lots of people who started out with us no longer attend and some of those people are just not with us anymore. Here's a few from the firsts day.

First picture, me and Craig. Craig was with us at Kingdom's 3 in Georgia. Many many years ago with Ronnie, Pam, John and a cast of characters. Kingdom's 3 was a Lion Country Safari Bob's angel bought and we all went down to run. The first weekend two lions escaped. They were under a year old but the size of adult lions. Bob and a bunch of guys from the humane society went after them before they could make a meal of small children or large adults. The humane guys shot them with the dart guns, but they died. Next day there's a picture of Bob and two baby lion cubs that couldn't be 2 weeks old on the cover of the Atlanta Journal with this caption - New Park Owner Kills Babies. All above the fold. One of the only times Bob's been in the paper I didn't send a clipping to his Mom and mine. When I find the picture of Ronnie I'll tell you about the time Ronnie came face to face with our cougar who'd escaped. But did a week go by someone didn't escape the animal section of the park?

Next picture is Lars, me and Mr. Iverson. Lars is one of my favorite people in the world and we have shared a few ups and downs together. He picked us up at the airport Sunday and had lunch with us. I was very worried he was missing time with his family, espcially since he has a senior in high school. I know next year he won't be seeing her since she'll be away at college. And his wife Gail is so busy. However, Gail and Lindsey were doing other things. That night, Lars, Gail and Lindsey took us to a wonderful Italian restaurant in a wonderful Disney community. Perfect night, great friends and delicious meal.

Last picture - Lee and me. Lee was with me at Six Flags in 1973. He'd been a canoe ride supervisor and transferred to games. He was my supervisor. Now he's a park general manager in Duin

No comments: