Thursday, December 18, 2008

International Association of Amusement Parks and Attractions, continued
















Here's more pictures from the IAAPA trade show. First is Ned and me. Ned came to the Christmas party and brought Susan. What a delight she is and cute as a button. Next is Lindsey and her girlfriend. I've known Lindsey since she was a twinkle in her parent's eyes. Now look, she's taller than me. Always happens. Her friend was adorable, too. Next, the Dopplemayr crew along with Carol and Mike.

Randy, the guy between Carol and me was Larry to me for years. NO ONE corrected me and I felt like a fool after I found out he's actually Randy. But I did know from day one Randay is a terrific guy. The short guy to my left is Red, who is over 6 feet tall and would have been out of the picture if he hadn't volunteered to kneel. Carol and Mike, of couse, make the convention easy for us just by being there.

Thank goodness for the people we knew and the vendors. Not exactly a beehive of member/buyers. But I'm sure the association will say it was a sell out. They also listed the November after 9-11 as our 4th highest attended show in the last 10 years. Well, we were there. Every other booth was empty and we just watched the tumbleweeds tumbling down the isles because there were no people. Why we got on the plane I don't know. But if you don't get a booth everyone will say, "They must be out of business."

I get really irritated at the people who come by the booth and let me give my little talk then pull out a brochure and say, "I'm with a company that does so and so." Oh, great, then you didn't need me to make a sales pitch to you, you didn't pay for a booth, but you'd like to save postage and get me to carry your brochure back to our office. Well, hey, Mr. Stranger, I'd love to do that. Why don't I run out and buy another suitcase that I can pay extra for at the airport so I can put your brochure along with all the other people who didn't spring for a booth and ship home. Also I'll be sure to demand everyone spec your company for all our jobs?" Why I get irritated I don't know. It's been the same for 25 years. I know the suitcase salesmen will be there. Get a grip, Lottie Kate and go with the flow.

No comments: