Friday, February 27, 2009

No Welding Today / James Randall visits

Truly, I had every intention of working on my tree sculpture today. Rolled out my mig, measured twice, cut rods once, then this and that happened and that's all I accomplished. Rolled the mig back in and locked up the shop when James Randall came in from Denton for lunch. He, Bob and I to Chili's and then he drove me to mod.shop to take pictures. This picture is great because Randall's in it.

James Randall gave me an earful of computer/music stuff. I had to get him to dumb it down a bit so I could understand. If I could get him in a car once a week for 30 minutes and then digest for another week, maybe I'd really start to understand a bit of how his music/computer collaboration works. On the way home we stopped at Starbucks. Swallowing a mouthful of a green tea frappicino with extra whipped cream, I told him I'm reading Carrie Fisher's "Wishful Drinking". He knew who she is - well of course, Star Wars. One of the best lines of the book is George Lucas tells Carrie during the first week of shooting she can't wear any underwear underneath the weird white dress she wears for the whole movie. She asks why and he says, "Because there's no underwear in outer space," so sincerely she believes he believes and then so does she. And you think I'm strange?

No comments: